The British and Foreign Bible Society has launched an initiative called “Pass It On” for 2014. The idea is to encourage adults to read the Bible to children or to tell them the stories of the Bible. This major push arose from a survey that was done of children between the ages of 8 to 15 and parents of children age 3 to 16 in the United Kingdom. Here is what they found.
In the Survey of 8 to 15 year olds in the U.K.
- 23% had never read, seen or heard Noah’s Ark.
- 25% had never read, seen or heard the Nativity.
- 54% had never read, seen or heard Joseph and his coat of many colors.
- 60% had never read, seen or heard the Feeding of the 5,000
- 61% had never read, seen or heard the Good Samaritan
- 63% had never read, seen or heard the Creation account.
- 72% had never read, seen or heard Daniel and the lion’s den.
- 85 % had never read, seen or heard the story of Solomon.
In the Survey of Parents of Children 3 to 16 in the U.K.
- 30% did not recognize the story of Adam and Eve
- 31% did not recognize the story of David and Goliath
- 27% did not recognize the story of the Good Samaritan
Besides being tested on the plot lines of Bible stories, they were also given the plot lines of various stories outside the Bible to see if they thought they were in the Bible. Would the recognize that these stories are not found in the Bible? Here’s how it went with the parents.
- 34% thought the plot line of Harry Potter was or might be in the Bible
- 54% for the plot of the Hunger Games
- 27% for the plot line of Superman
- 46% for the plot line of The Da Vinci Code
Yes, this is a survey for Great Britain and not the United States. There is an obvious difference between the two countries. Currently, the U.K. has a church attendance rate at about 12% while the rate in the U.S. is at 43%. But it is a cautionary tale. What happens when one generation fails to pass on the Bible?
“We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done. Psalms 78:4,ESV